History & Culture - Easons

The History of Easons goes all the way back to a newspaper stand on Sackville Street (now O'Connell Street). The growth of railways and trams in Dublin along with daily newspapers meant that the stall rapidly grew.

During the 1916 rising the shop was destroyed. The new building was built in the style of Chicago architecture, and opened for business again in 1919. The shop was build with reinforced concrete to protect it against further damage. The strength of the buildings structure has meant it has been difficult to make modifications.